Monday, May 18, 2009

Sensitivity

Why does it always surprise me just how sensitive my horses are? This last week when I've been leading Chapiro up from the paddock he has had a spooky moment each time we have passed the cow field. Now he's not fearful of these Limousin beasts, on the contrary, he seems quite chummy with them. It would appear that, undetected by me, the electric fence has been shorting on some long grass and ticking at horse detectable frequency.
This just got me thinking about the sensitivity of our equine friends and how, just like us humans, some of them can tune it out and others just can't. Part of our training strategy has to be to engage our horses to such a degree that they can block out these nuisance calls and concentrate on us.....what a huge thing we ask.

3 comments:

Claire said...

i think that must happen a lot, trudi - because we can't hear!

Cabruze said...

Yep!! (Both to sensitivity of horses and what a huge thing we ask!!) It always surprises me just how insensitive we humans can be!!

Di said...

Cabruze said...
It always surprises me just how insensitive we humans can be!!

And just proves what generous, forgiving creatures they are!