Friday, May 7, 2010

cartwheels

I'm too old for turning cartwheels but if I wasn't......
No rain and even a glimpse of the sun. The boys came in like lambs and I worked Chapsi and Moo on the lunge.

I used some cones to create a circle and worked Chapsi around the outside of them, he picked up the idea straight away on the right rein and as always took quite a few attempts to complete a circle to the left but he is massively improved in general on that tricky left rein and I'm pretty happy with where we are as he makes a pretty decent circle shape on both reins. We finished with some lighthearted liberty stuff and he was a star; he just makes me smile :-)
The best bit though was Moo, we loosened up as always with a little massage, moving him out from the shoulder and haunches etc. He was VERY laid back, almost lazy for him. He started to loosen up in the trot and just got on with the job, we worked lots of trannies, spirals and straight lines. Finally we cantered YAY on both reins and very relaxed with no arguments or head throwing. I'm so glad, I've been biding my time with the canter and all the work's finally paying off.

7 comments:

Mandeigh said...

ooohhh we had some sunshine today as well....if we didn't have the baltic wind as well it would have been a gorgeous summers day!

Moo is really coming into his own! About time we had some more pics :-)

Di said...

Sounds like a great horsey day! You cantered Moo, double yay!!
Oooh, that rhymes.. :-)

Danni said...

Well Done, it's great to have days like that :D

allhorsestuff said...

Excellent news!
Both some SUN and the wonderful response from Moo!
I sure wish I had been able to train my mare...but alas, she came to me a bit worse off in her mind and a bit racked in body.....I love her still and we have fun and sometimes work without arguments!I am still seeking what she loves to do..think it is jumping.
We too, had a -small glimpse- of late, what nice weather could be soon...
KK
PS
Yea..it is all private lands I ride on(with signage) that get trespassed by Motorized ...but what can you do? I wage war sometimes as this is close to home!

Rising Rainbow said...

That canter can be tough. I think it's always good to take time working up to it. The better the foundation, the better the result.

trudi said...

Yes absolutely RR, especially in Moo's case as I'm paranoid about him ceasing up again.

HorseOfCourse said...

Oh, congratulations with Moo, how marvellous!

I arrived in Paris Wednesday afternoon and left again Thursday. Had hoped for some French temeratures, but it was just as cold as home, lol!