Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Finally I'm breaking the surface and gasping some air. The bitless malarkey has opened so many doors in my mind and most of them not actually directly related to bitless; it makes me feel pretty inadequate in my training and will, I hope, spur me on to be better.
I've been making real progress with Moo and had some good ridden canter in the school on Saturday, the first time since his problems in July. We got really clean transitions and although he was rushing, what's new, he wasn't hanging onto my hand and felt quite nice. We've groundworked or ridden every day except Monday and he seemed to be stretching well in his exercises afterwards.
I had planned to ride today but when I brought him in ihe was very tight through his shoulder/wither on the right side. I'm as paranoid about him as I am about my back, one twinge and I have visions of the surgeon's knife glinting.
So it was a change of plan and after some massage we groundworked, first a little in-hand opening up the shoulders with some yielding and then the same with the quarters. We walked over our pyramid of poles, which he did as ably as usual, and then on to some gentle lunging in walk and trot. In these sessions I pretty much let him dictate the pace and although he looked tight to start with, he did end up long, relaxed and stretching. His stretches back in the yard were the best ever, he was very cooperative. If I was a religious person I'd be praying tonight that he is good in the morning, I don't want to slide back down that slippery slope again.

6 comments:

Claire said...

well, rolling into winter won't be helping either of you ...

glad the canter's back together again though!

Di said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Di said...

After his massage and stretches I'm sure he'll be fine tomorrow. Is your back twingeing (not sure that's a word)? Perhaps you should get yourself a good massage! :-)

HorseOfCourse said...

Well, at least it sounds like he loosened up nicely. That's the best one can do, right? And cross the fingers for tomorrow...

trudi said...

A massage would be good Di, sadly my excellent physio decided selling houses was more lucrative :-(

Claire said...

does lucinda not do people as well? :-)

our horse physio is a human physio as well... i should go .. but don't!