Thursday, March 19, 2009

AIDS the substance (part 1)

Well I've been putting this off for days but feel I really must get on or I'm never going to get my thoughts into perspective.

I hope that I may get some feedback to help me direct my thoughts but until then I'll make a start on my own.

In the Aids ramble pieces I touched on Podjasky's advice regarding aids and for me the following is burned into my brain **The rider must have an exact understanding of his aids and their effect, and must make use of them intelligently; he must not allow himself to be influenced by his feelings.** So we are scientists first and artists second. We can dream of dancing in harmony with our horses but it only works if we understand the how, why and when, the basic mechanics of movement. I am sure that there are some who will disagree with that last statement but for me it encompasses training, art based on sound science. Just like a great chef only develops his *art* after he understands the science of how food works.
I recall reading Udo Berger's book The Way to perfect Horsemanship the first time and how absorbing I found the chapter on biomechanics. Here, for the first time I could work out, scientifically, why exercises worked. Of course, nowadays there is a wealth of books on the subject and lectures/ demonstrations to attend. Now we can all be amateur scientists and train our horses through science with an artistic heart.
There are so many good authors that discuss the aids and their effects and I hope to draw on their sound knowledge whilst looking at it from the perspective of a middle aged woman struggling to accept the boundaries of her broken body.
I shall begin the next installment by discussing the importance of the fundamental aids used to move our horse forwards and to stop him. The cornerstones of any system of control.

2 comments:

Di said...

**The rider must have an exact understanding of his aids and their effect, and must make use of them intelligently; he must not allow himself to be influenced by his feelings.**

Hee heee!!

I understand what you're saying Trudi. We all need the fundamentals,and the science is very important, but do you think we may get too hung up on the science?

From my point of view,( and you know that I doubt myself all the time) I don't know if I consciously think of what aids I'm giving. Now perhaps, that is a weakness, being unable to use the right aid at the right time, or not knowing which aid to use. Or just aiding instinctively by feel, whether the aid be correct or incorrect. Am I waffling? Sorry if I am.
A good topic though.

trudi said...

To be truthful Di, and I'm not talking of someone like you here,I don't think science comes into it enough for many people.
I also think if you faff around in the artistry of it without any real knowledge of why it works then it is rarely art, and it rarely looks like you think it feels (if that makes sense).
It's a bit like driving a car, to begin with you have to master the mundane skills of gear changing, pulling away from stationary, breaking etc but as you learn to regulate the gas and control the clutch you pass into the realms of *auto* and you no longer have to think when or how much you need but you instinctively *feel* it. This passing into *auto* mode is made easier if someone explains to you how it works, why it works and what to listen/feel for.
I'm not saying you can't do it without the science but for me it makes it all hang together to create a full picture.
Ha! Now I'M waffling.